Sunday, October 24, 2010

Sweet lavender baby quilt


This baby quilt was pretty fun to make, and I finished it just last week. I started out thinking I was going to make a double hourglass quilt, but you know what they say about making plans...



I used various lavender and pale green prints with a charcoal gray Kona cotton solid. Once I had cut all my fabric and layed it out on the floor I wasn't loving the charcoal as the solid color. It looked too drastic. So I changed my pieces all around, and I really liked the result.



The quilting is another free-motion design using a petal-y flower design.



For the Backing I used the charcoal gray with a lot of the extra scraps to make this funky design; I'm not totally sure I like it.



I am eventually going to make that double hourglass quilt using the pale green and the lavender material, but I am going to use a pretty solid white instead of the charcoal. I think it will make the quilt even more girly.

If you are interested in making your own double hourglass quilt Cluck, Cluck, Sew has a great tutorial here, and even if you don't want to, her blog is full of AMAZING quilts! It's totally worth checking out!

2 comments:

  1. I like it! It's really cute! I do like the charcoal colour with the lavender and green, too. Great job!
    I need to get a sewing machine... I think I could have fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really cool Kate! If I ever have kids I'm totally going to commission you for a quilt :oD

    ReplyDelete